Tuesday, April 22, 2014

DIY Burlap Sign On A Budget

DIY Burlap Sign Tutorial

(For under $10!)

Today, I made this burlap sign:
 
 
 
Here's what you will need:
 
Picture Frame
Burlap
Paint
Stencils
Spray Adhesive
 
 
I bought this frame at the second hand store for just $2.75. 

 
 
It already had a print in it, so I had to take it out.  I scored the back paper with a knife, and then removed the cardboard, print, and glass.

 
Next I painted the frame.  I painted it with a brown base color and then used some glaze and black paint to distress.  Mix 1 part paint with 3 parts glaze, brush on, and wipe off.

 
 
 
While waiting  for the paint to dry, I started on the sign.  I used the cardboard back that I removed from the original frame.  I covered it with spray adhesive and stuck on my burlap.
 
I had this burlap on hand.  I like the chevron pattern, but it was too blue, so I flipped it over and glued it down.  This spool of burlap costs about $2 at Wal-Mart.
 
After your burlap is down, it's time to start stenciling.  You can do this several ways.  I chose to make my own stencils with my Cricut.  Using pre-made stencils, or pintables is also an option.
I wanted my sign to say something specific so I winged it.   Using my Cricut and contact paper I cut out my stencils. 

The nice thing about using Contact Paper is that it sticks to whatever surface you are working on. 
After my machine was done, I could just peel and stick.



Arrange your letters, and then use acrylic paint to carefully stencil them in.  I used what I already had on hand, but these normally cost about $1 each. 



Once the paint is dry, pull up your contact paper or stencil and wa-la!



I did not replace the glass on this frame because I liked the look better without it.  That's it!  Very easy, Very Cheap.  Total Cost: $7.75  My total cost was actually only $2.75 because I already had most of the stuff lying around the house. :)

 

 



No comments:

Post a Comment