Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Faux Granite Countertops

            I have been so unhappy with my kitchen lately.  The white cabinets and ugly white and pink counter tops were just not flowing for me!  So I spent the last few days painting, painting, and more painting!  Did I mention painting?  

Hideous as far as counter tops go, and the cabinets I had previously painted white.  White cabinets with children are very hard to keep looking nice.  Plus, once I painted the counter tops, the old dingy white just lacked pizzazz.  
( Before) 
 I had already sanded and primed the counter tops here.
So here's what I did...
Nice huh?  IGNORE THE BACKSPLASH!  I haven't quite conquered that yet. First, I scrubbed and sanded the counter tops. 
 Next I primed them with Kilz. 

 Next, I painted the counter tops a grayish, brown color. (SORRY I FORGOT TO SNAP A PICTURE!)
 After all that, then came the fun part!  Glazing!  I luv glazing!  I mixed 1 part black paint with 3 parts glaze and went to work.

Here's the glaze all mixed and on my brush...


  Using a newspaper, I dobbed the paint on in small sections.  Then using a plastic grocery bag, I removed some of the glaze.  
Lay the plastic bag down and press firmly, then lift it up!  (You will go through several grocery bags.)  This is the result!






BEFORE



 AFTER


I LOVE THEM!!!!!!!

For the cabinets I did the same process but instead of doing the glaze with a newspaper and plastic bag, I brushed it on like normal, and wiped it off with a rag until I got the look I wanted.  


 
(With glaze brushed on)
 
(After I wiped it off)


I also added about 5 coats of varnish to the countertops, and 2 to the cabinets.  As far as maintenance on the countertops go, you can't use harsh cleaners.  I have just been using vinegar, and Dawn.  You can't let water sit on them either.  This will eventually cause you grief....
I decided it was worth the effort.  I love my kitchen now!  It looks so much cleaner!

What do you think?  Backsplash is still to come so stay tuned!





No comments:

Post a Comment