Thursday, August 7, 2014

Repurposed Dresser



I have to say, I am SUPER proud of my project this week.
I started with a nasty $5 dresser I picked up at a yard sale.

Although the thing was covered in about 15 layers of paint, I saw the potential!




Here it was.  My original purpose was going to be to refinish this little dresser.  But as I scraped, and scraped, and sanded, and sanded, it looked like there was no end in sight.  Here it is after 2, I repeat TWO coats of stripper and scrapings...

UG.  I tried to make it work as a dresser, but after hours of sanding and a coat of my homemade chalk paint, I just didn't see it looking very good as a dresser.

So a week went by and I settled on the fact that the top of this thing, although real wood, would not look great.  I decided to go with the bench idea.  
I started by removing the top.  This left me with just one set of drawer slides to remove, since I was going to keep one drawer in place.
I reused the top by flipping it upside down to hide all the damage.  I cut it to size with my skil saw and used it as a seat.




There are also a few supports in there that you can see if you look closely.  
I used the drawer slides that I had removed as trim on the front and top.  
They had some imperfections in them, but I figured that it gives the bench some character.
This thing is repurposed!
Then I purchased a sheet of bead board and piece of trim.  I lined the inside of the bench with the bead board and trim. 
I decided on teal and grey for the paint scheme.  Of course I distressed it, and glazed it!


Found these knobs at Hobby Lobby...



Here it is completed. 




I love it!  It looks so cute there in my little nook, that I am of course dreading parting with it.  :/  Same old story I know.


What do you think?



No comments:

Post a Comment