Saturday, August 30, 2014

The Laminate Vanity

When I found this little vanity at a yard sale, I scooped it up.  It was in pretty good shape.  The seat cover was old and dingy looking, but overall not too bad.
I was a little dissapointed that it was laminate and not real wood, but for the price, I thought I'd test out the chalk paint miricle on this piece.


First things first, I whipped up some of my homemade chalk paint with some existing paint I already had.

I painted the top and the drawer in this blue color.  I left the rest of the desk alone.  
The chair was another story.  I painted the upholstery on the chair with the same chalk paint mixture I had made for the desk.
See my tutorial here!
This was my first time trying to paint uphostery but I am wildly happy with the results.  No! It doesn't feel hard and crunchy like you would think.  It feels more like leather. :)



While the vanity desk was cute just as it was, I thought it needed something else.
I did a stensil on the top using the base of a cup and some acrylic paint that I found that matched up well. :)



Those holes you see are from an old mirror that was no longer with the desk.  I filled the holes, and glued a large tack that I had painted to match into each one.

Last step, I lined the drawer with some premium wrapping paper that I got a Pier 1 in their clearance isle.
I have used the mod-podge method in the past, but this time I used Elmers Spray Adhesive.  The stuff is sticky beyond belief, but for this little drawer it worked nicely.

 I gave the painted parts of this piece a coat of wax, (except for the cushion), and called it done.


                                                                     





This was one of the easiest projects I have taken on so far.  I was skeptical about using the homemade chalk paint on laminate, but it went on well and seems wonderful on it.

I am sure the new owners of this little vanity desk will enjoy it for quite a while. :)

Has anyone else had great results with painting laminate with chalk paint?

No comments:

Post a Comment