Wednesday, August 6, 2014

The Vintage Desk







I recently acquired this old waterfall desk at an estate sale.  It had definite potential!
I had already removed the hardware and gave it a light sanding in this picture.




I decided to go with my homemade chalk paint just like I used for my dresser redo.
I used a slate blue and off white color.

I mixed 1/2 Cup Plaster of Paris
1/2 Cup HOT water
1 1/2 Cups of Paint

I did give the thing a coat of primer with the spray on primer.  Then I went to work with the chalk paint.





After 2 coats of Chalk paint, I used a dark mahogany stain on the top.

I went back and sanded around the edges, corners, and legs to give it a distressed look.







I gave the drawers a coat of dark brown glaze.  This helped me to achieve that perfect antiqued look.
I found the cute little decal on a glass that I found at the thrift store.  I thought it looked good...



Next, I used some old scrapbook paper and decoupaged the top, and the inside of the drawers.  I decided to do this because the veneer on top wasn't perfect, but I didn't want to strip it.  I love how it turned out.  I really think it gave the desk some character.




 Covered it with a few coats of poly to protect the paper and vwa-la!
I used the original handles, which I painted black. 




What do yo think?  I absolutely love it.  Like usual, I don't want to sell it. :/
But... Yes I am selling this piece.


No comments:

Post a Comment